Friday, January 14, 2011

Passions and an idea (of course)

My passion is change and growth! Whether that be in my classroom or in my "regular" life, things are always changing, and hopefully, improving.

I often try new recipes for our family. And by often, I mean 5-7 days a week! My husband questions the logic of my ever changing quest for culinary perfection, but has resigned himself to being a new recipe guinea pig. I find some good ones though, and they do get made over and over. However, if the recipe is just OK, never again does it cross our lips!

In my classroom I often tweak small things with the overall goal of making my teaching better, more clear and more effective. I change how I format an announcement or I change what I put into them. I am frequently evaluating what my students tend to access more often, and attempt to put less energy into things that they rarely use so that I have more time and energy to focus on effectively using the things that they tend to use more often (while still encouraging them to use all of the tools that are available to them)!

This week, I have formally begun posting language objectives in my synchronous classroom sessions and creating/using supports surrounding those. We just went through an ELL training with our district, and it struck me: MANY of our students are missing so much academic language for so many reasons! Time to get on the boat and teach them what they need when it comes to language!

Now, this doesn't mean that I haven't been teaching language before now, of course I have! However, I intend to make explicit language instruction a more central theme both in synchronous and asynchronous portions of my instruction.
This is just one change I have made this year. Will it be revolutionary on its own, no. However, when all of the little changes add up over the year, I hope that my students will reap the rich rewards!!!

This post inspired by day 2 of 30 days to kick start your blogging by edublogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment